Technical Officer for Wetlands International Malaysia
Wetlands International is an independent, not-for-profit, global organisation supported by government membership from around the world. Wetlands International is a science-based organisation producing tools and information to assist the development and implementation by government of relevant policies, conventions and treaties that are required to achieve wetland conservation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the director, the Technical officer will be responsible for the following:
- Management and coordination of selected projects implemented by Wetlands International
- Preparation of scientific and technical reports when required.
- Management of contracts of consultants working on the relevant projects to ensure quality of key outputs and timely delivery.
- Communication and liaison with goverment agencies and other partners in relation to project development and implementation.
- Representing the organisation in meetings, seminars and conferences (local and international) as directed by the Director.
- Assisting in the development of new projects/ initiatives that will contribute to Wetlands International' Strategic Intent in relation to national priorities.
- Helping respond to general technical queries related to the work of Wetlands International.
- Compilation of material and facilitation of training workshops in relation to wetland conservation and wise use.
- Liaison with relevant other WI offices in developing/ contributing specific programmes.
- Lead and participate in field assessments and compile relevant assessment reports as and when required.
- Performing other relevant duties and tasks in relation to this portfolio as directed by the Director.
This is a national position and applications are only open to Malaysian nationals. Candidates should possess the following:
- A higher University degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., botany, conservation biology, landscape ecology, marine sciences, natural resource management etc.). A candidate with a BSc. with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge related to wetlands and conservation.
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with computer software applications (particularly Microsoft Office products). Experience in Geographical Information System (GIS) mapping and databases would be an asset.
- Ability to develop and implement projects effectively.
- Ability to handle multi-tasking and to work effectively to tight deadlines without compromising quality.
- The successful candidate will be fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia. Fluency in other languages spoken in Malaysia would be an asset.
- Willingness to travel (e.g. for field work, workshops and meetings/ conferences) is essential.
- Possess a valid driving licence.
- A team player with positive work attitude, responsible, consistent, committed, result orientated, creative and hardworking.
Interested applicants are required to submit the following documents when making the application:
1. A one-page cover note indicating why you think you are the best candidate for this job.
2. An updated CV along with contact details (email, address and telephone number) of two people who we can contact for a reference check.
All applications should be made via email and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in MSWord (97-2003 compatible formats). Please ensure that all applications are submitted by 24th November 2010. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information, download the official document.
Sorry. We've been getting a lot of junk comments lately. So commenting has been turned off for now